St. Mark's Episcopal Church is a Parish of The Diocese of Southern Virginia. The history of St. Mark's Episcopal Church is keyed to the development of the Northampton section of our city between 1950 and 1960. After a city-wide survey in 1962 revealed a large population of Episcopalians in the area, St. John's Episcopal Church in Hampton, which was founded in 1610 and is the oldest English-speaking parish in the United States, established St. Mark's as a parochial mission. Our parent church appointed its assistant, the Rev. Winston Hope, as Vicar.
The first service was held on March 3, 1963 in the clubhouse of Northampton Woman's Club until the present building was completed at 1835 Todd's Lane on five acres of land donated to St. Mark's for this purpose. The first service in the new building was held on November 15, 1964.
On January 31, 1966, St. Mark's was granted recognition as an independent parish, in union with the Diocese of Southern Virginia, at the 74th annual meeting of Council in Norfolk. The Rev. Winston Hope was elected rector and served until his retirement from active ministry in 1982. In September, 1983 the Rev. Irwin M. Lewis accepted a call as the second rector of St. Marks. During this time, St. Mark's grew spiritually by expanding our ministries to one another and increasing our outreach programs. We also became more involved with other churches in the area. A building program was initiated in 1990 to increase our capacity to serve. Father Lewis left in April 1991 to take advantage of an opportunity in another parish in the diocese. In March 1992, the Rev. Peggy Buelow accepted the call to be the third rector of St. Mark's. Under Peg's dynamic leadership, St. Mark's has grown and significantly increased outreach into the surrounding community in a variety of ministries. On May 31st, 2013, Rev. Peggy Buelow retired and now St. Mark's has begun the search for a new rector.